The Oolite Saga

Writings and chronicles of the OOniverse.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

The Oolite Saga

Post by drew »

Thought this thread could do with an update after a mere 17 years. ;)

The Oolite Saga has been deprecated and replaced with the Elect Saga. https://www.drewwagar.com/elect/

The rest of this thread is the history of what was the Oolite Saga and is now the Elect Saga... if history is the right word for something that hasn't happened yet. You may wish to lie down and have a rest at this stage.

Alternatively, go to the end of the topic and it will probably start to make more sense.

Cheers,

Drew.
Last edited by drew on Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:49 pm, edited 34 times in total.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Murgh
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Murgh »

nice.

that solves the entire christmas dilemma. :D
The man next to you is your lunch
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Thanks Murgh! Nice.

Some feedback from you good folks on the BB about the story...

“Fantastic, absolutely spot on. A true work of art.”

“I love it so much!”

“Fantastic work.”

“What a ride!”

“Very nice edge of the seat stuff!”

“Rocks!”

“One hell of a tale.”

“You've still got me hanging on the edge of my seat.”

If you want to read an excerpt you can find one here...

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Drew.
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
magamo
Competent
Competent

Post by magamo »

I've ordered my copy from CafePress.... It was in an order with one other book, Unfortunately, when my package got here today, I was rather disappointed to find that Status Quo was no where to be found within the box. I called CP, and all they told me was that they would get back to me when they figured out what happened.

Looking forward to owning a hard copy. It'll be nice since I'm using elements from both Status Quo and The Dark Wheel in an Elite/Oolite themed RPG that I'm running here at the house.
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

One of my orders got cancelled mysteriously. I spoke to them and it got re-instated, thus I'm still waiting for it to turn up...

I was advised that if folks want a copy before Christmas it will be worth ordering in the next week as the bandwidth across the atlantic fills up pretty fast. Nine copies gone so far according to the records.
Looking forward to owning a hard copy. It'll be nice since I'm using elements from both Status Quo and The Dark Wheel in an Elite/Oolite themed RPG that I'm running here at the house.
I'd be interested to see what you come up with. Do tell!

Cheers,

Drew.
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
magamo
Competent
Competent

Post by magamo »

Well, I got my reply from Cafepress
I apologize for the missing item from your order. During the printing of your order, we discovered problems with the image used for one of the products. As a result, Status Quo Book (product #83694981) was not able to be produced. I have notified the shopkeeper who owns the images so they can correct the problems. I have also refunded the price of the product to your credit card, please allow 3-5 business days for it to reflect on your statement. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
I'm not sure if you've gotten any information from them or not. As for the RPG, I'm running it in "d20 Modern", with a lot of the supplimental material from the "d20 Future" suppliment. My players are now a group of "Salvagers" operating out of one of the monuments of the Tionisla Orbital Graveyard. They've just intercepted another set of Prototype Q-Mines, and when I last broke with them, they had just been forced out of Witchspace by 3 Thargoid assault cruisers.

It'll be interesting to see how they'll face this one down in a beat up old python, hobbled together from parts that they've salvaged, and an equally beat up Adder that they got on the expensive off of some Reidquat black marketeers.

In the time table I have in my head, very soon the Thargoids will be attacking Lave, and the great wars will begin. :)
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

That RPG sounds fun.

Is it an online thing - If so post the link!!

Or is this D&D style dice and real world stuff?

My wife just about tolerates real world poker schools, but might draw the line at an 80 style Oolite D&D evening. "You role a one, your python is reduced to 5 shield points!"
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
magamo
Competent
Competent

Post by magamo »

LittleBear wrote:
That RPG sounds fun.

Is it an online thing - If so post the link!!

Or is this D&D style dice and real world stuff?

My wife just about tolerates real world poker schools, but might draw the line at an 80 style Oolite D&D evening. "You role a one, your python is reduced to 5 shield points!"
It is a classic tabletop RPG, complete with table, dice, and players screaming at each other at the top of their lungs. One of my favorite moments was, after several meetings between the two groups of PCs, a large showdown was taking place. The larger group in their Python, the smaller group in the Adder, and a Krait that they had juryrigged up with a one shot, very long downtime hyperdrive.

The Python had just obliterated a couple of rival pirate Cobra Mk IIIs, with an ingenius use of routing engine power through their forward beam laser. Unfortunately for them, the Krait was still out of scanner range as they turned, and began firing on the Adder with their rear laser (The blast from the forward cannon essentially destroyed it. They needed some long drydock time to fix it) The Krait swooped in, and launched off a missile that had been modified.

Instead of the standard concussion/explosive warhead, it was fitted with a large canister of nanites programmed to enter a person's brain through skin pores, and incapacitate them through the administration of hormones/drugs manufactured by the nanites. On the nose of this missile was a titanium drillhead. (What those salvagers won't think of next) As the python fired off their rear laser, the missile struck.

There was much dice throwing, and cursing as the crew of the python fell asleep one by one over the ensuing moments. After the capture of the python the two crews have since finally started working together. :)
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Haven't seen this image problem in the email, I'll check into it and get back to you all!

Cheers,

Drew.
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Right!

All cafepress have said is in an automated email is:

"Unable to print book. Please redo the PDF file."

Which isn't very helpful. I've asked them for further clarification and will announce back here when it's going to be available again!

Apologies for the inconvenience!

Cheers,

Drew.
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Hmm, I downloaded your PDF file no problems. Printed it and read it on the tube (British equivilant of the subway) every day to work for a week, whilst defending in a child rape at the C.C.C.

Not much help I guess, but just wanted you to know that your story gave me a lot of escapist fun at a difficult time.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Glad to hear you enjoyed it and it gave you some time aside from the job. I work at Canary Wharf btw... maybe we passed at some point! :wink:

No news yet from cafepress, will chase.

Cheers,

Drew.
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

You should have waved out of the window!
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

My wife has just told me that two copies of 'Status Quo' have arrived in the post, despite me being informed that the book couldn't be printed...

She reports they look absolutely fine.

Not sure what is going on.... :roll:

Will ask cafepress again!

Cheers,

Drew.
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Just got a message from Cafepress saying everything should now be ok. They couldn't explain exactly what had gone wrong, but assure me that it should be fine now (I have a received a copy from them and it looks good).

So please order your copies. To guarantee christmas delivery you need to buy in the next couple of weeks though! Same price as before 'at cost' as originally agreed with Giles etc...

Enjoy and apologies for the delays!

Cheers,

Drew.
WebsiteFacebookTwitter