Tales of a Pacifist Pilot.

Writings and chronicles of the OOniverse.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

byronarn
Dangerous
Dangerous

Tales of a Pacifist Pilot.

Post by byronarn »

Chapter One

My kill count is 0. Yes, you read that right. Zero.

And I am quite proud of it.

I am Commander Noryb, from the Rich Industrial world of Lerelace. And I am a pacifist.

People tell me all the time, "You aren't going to make it very long out here as a pacifist. You're going to end up space dust at the end of a pirate's gun."

Maybe, maybe not. But if a man doesn't have his principles, he has nothing. That's what my father used to always say.

Besides, my fuel injectors have worked well so far keeping me out of trouble.

There was this one time, I had just left witchspace in the Diso system.There were already three ships at bouy, and I was pitching upward to be facing 90 degrees from the station. You know the old trick to avoid space lanes in order to avoid pirates? Wasn't too long that one of those ships broadcasted, "Your cargo or your life!"

Oh crap! I thought as several shots struck me and my back shields dropped like a rock.

I punched my fuel injectors, and I instantly lost one of them. The other two, however, managed to stay within laser range. A couple more shots drained my shields some more.

I started spinning and randomly pitching my ship up and down. I was hoping to evade most of those laser shots. One more still managed to hit, and my shields were dangerously low. One more shot and I would have no shields left!

I suddenly let go of my fuel injectors, and my speed dropped. Both pirates ships overshot me, but one managed to be fast enough to turn back around and stay in within range of me. I pitched down 90 degrees, and hit the fuel injectors again. The pirate managed to remain on my tail.

I saw some asteroids ahead. I shot into the midst of them, and cut all power to my ship. i watched as the pirate approached the asteroids, and flew around the edge of the belt. On his scanners, I just looked like another unpowered object. Not being able to distinguish between me and the asteroids, he eventually gave up. As he started to head back to the witchspace point, I finally breathed a sigh of relief.

I had survived another pirate attack.
Last edited by byronarn on Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Re: Tales of a Pacifist Pilot.

Post by UK_Eliter »

A good story! Moreover, I didn't notice any problems with the writing, which doesn't often happen . .
byronarn
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by byronarn »

UK_Eliter wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:11 am
A good story! Moreover, I didn't notice any problems with the writing, which doesn't often happen . .
Thank you! I have been letting Chapter Two stew in my brain. I have some ideas, just got to get the ideas down in written form. I hope to have it posted within the next couple of days.
byronarn
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by byronarn »

Chapter Two

"So all three pirates just got away?" the gruff pilot asked me.

I was in a bar on the station at Qutiri. I had just sold a cargo hold full of furs from Isinor, and bought a hold full of computers to take back to Isinor. I decided to get a beer before heading back to Isinor.

As often happens when pilots meet up at a space bar, we had started trading stories. I had told him about my little adventure on Diso that I shared with you in my last story.

"Yeah, but so did I!" I insisted.

"You are a coward!" he shouted at me, "How many Jamesons do you think that trio will kill before they meet a pilot who will do the right thing and kill them?"

"I am no coward, sir. I just don't believe in-"

"Yeah, yeah," he cut me off, "You don't believe in taking sentient life. Of course it has nothing to do with fear. I can't even stand to drink in the same bar as you!"

He threw his mug of beer at me and stomped out the door.

A lot of people felt that way about me. A coward, not having enough guts to do what is necessary to rid the galaxy of scum and save innocent Jamesons from eary graves.

My baby, the Asimov-Clarke, shot out of the station like a dart. I hit full throttle and hit the hyperspace initiator. A countdown for 15 seconds started. As soon as I came out of the wormhole at Isinor, I saw trouble.

An Iron Ass was chasing down this beat-up python, launching volley after volley of lasers into it's it's shields.

"Someone please help me!" the Python was broadcasting, "I am under attack by a fully equipped Cobra Mk III. All I have is a pulse laser, and my shields are failing. I cannot outrun him. I have my three year old daughter on board. Someone please help me!"

"I told you Python, 5 Tons of cargo and you're free to go!"

I pointed my laser at the Iron Ass, and fired a couple shots in his direction. Just enough to get his attention by draining his shields.

Yes, of course I have weapons. I haven't used them to take a life, but just the appearance of being heavily armed is enough to make many pirates think twice about attacking me.

"You son of a tree frog!" I heard the pirate scream.

He broke off his attack on the python and brought his forward mounted military laser to face me. I hit the fuel injectors as I saw the python slip off my radar.

I was making a beeline for the safe zone around the system's main station. If I could just come across a GalCop viper, that pirate would be toast.

My ship shook violently as a laser burst struck my aft shields.

There was an asteroid hurtling towards me. Right before it hit me, I pitched my nose upwards and went over it. The pirate pitched his nose down and went under it.

"Incoming missile!" my computer alerted me.

I watched the radar as the missile approached me. A few kilometers off my tail, and I pressed my ECM button on my onsole. The missile detonated before it hit me. The detonation's shockwave propelled me forward out of the pirate's range, and I switched on my Torus drive. I was at the station in no time.

A couple hour's later, they had just finished loading my cargo full of furs when I saw I had received an email.
To the Commander of the Asimov-Clarke,

This is Commander Neil of the
Royal Galleon, the Python that you saved a few hours ago from that pirate. I was wondering if you'd be willing to meet me at this station's bar later. I want to give you a reward for saving my daughter's life. Please allow me to show you my gratitude.
A smile crossed my lips. That little girl is still alive, I thought to myself, because of me. Some coward that I am.
Last edited by byronarn on Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Malacandra
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Malacandra »

(Keep 'em coming!)
"Sidewinder Precision Pro" and other Oolite fiction is now available for Amazon Kindle at a bargain price.

Sidewinder Precision Pro ||Claymore Mine ||The Russian Creed ||One Jump Ahead

All titles also available in paperback.
Happyman
Average
Average

Post by Happyman »

I don't read so often cause I'm not type of literature person, but this one is enjoyable and read all the way through :D
"How you played in yesterday's game is all that counts." Jackie Robinson
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

Well done. An interesting take on survival and life in the Ooniverse.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet

Brevity is the soul of wit and vulgarity is wit's downfall

Good Night and Good Luck - Read You Soon