Just a brief note regarding the Killit Missile.

Writings and chronicles of the OOniverse.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Just a brief note regarding the Killit Missile.

Post by Duggan »

Extolling the virtues of the Killit Missile .

A darned expensive hob lighter, just a spark , a wee small ignition..

Ahh but... For all those lovely hard earned credits just what do you get in your Missile? On the face of it the explosive charge is close to negligible. As i said , it's enough to light a gas ring on a domestic cooker and nothing more.

After all such a huge projectile should, one would think have something more than a spark in it's warhead.

However what has to be considered is ;

Firstly the propellant and engine. It has to have enough thrust , speed and fuel to get it to the target before the target does one. hence the large chassis on the beast. Then ;

Secondly, the very creme de la creme of software . The guidance system immediately clocks the target and sets to work modulating the shield frequency so as to match the self same shield frequency of the target craft therefore completely ignoring any e.c.m capabilities that your target may posses.

The detonating charge being as it is a mere sparking charge is not an obstacle. No fancy nuclear warhhead, no cascades, not even H.E.. nothing but a spark.

Why? Well it's quiet simple really. This particular missile aims straight to the fuel tank. Just one tiny spark in the Quirium reservoir and the target's ship itself does all the work. instant combustion

Sure the Missile is very expensive, but you will never need buy any other ordnance . They even take down the dreadnought's of the Alien Battle group, The Thargoid Carrier (from which the bounty , more than adequately compensates for the purchase .of such a weapon.
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Just a brief note regarding the Killit Missile.

Post by Commander McLane »

Duggan wrote:
They even take down the dreadnought's of the Alien Battle group, The Thargoid Carrier (from which the bounty , more than adequately compensates for the purchase .of such a weapon.
How is this? As far as I know, a Thargoid Carrier has a bounty of 2,000₢, but a Killit™ Missile costs 30,000₢. So, unless you kill 15 Carriers with one missile, it shouldn't be financially worthwhile.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

:?
<wonders what this thread is doing in "Fiction">
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

Diziet Sma wrote:
:?
<wonders what this thread is doing in "Fiction">

That would be because this vignette was fiction

How is this? As far as I know, a Thargoid Carrier has a bounty of 2,000₢, but a Killit™ Missile costs 30,000₢.

I tend to shop at Costcoo wholesalers or Tescoo's, where they sell them as a part of their value range at 1,500₢ a unit :)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Duggan wrote:
How is this? As far as I know, a Thargoid Carrier has a bounty of 2,000₢, but a Killit™ Missile costs 30,000₢.

I tend to shop at Costcoo wholesalers or Tescoo's, where they sell them as a part of their value range at 1,500₢ a unit :)
I know why I dislike Constores, Tescoos and the like. I haven't installed any of those OXPs. An equipment price factor of 0.05 seems widely out of range. Do you also get a normal missile for 1.5₢ there?
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

Commander McLane wrote:
I know why I dislike Constores, Tescoos and the like. I haven't installed any of those OXPs. An equipment price factor of 0.05 seems widely out of range. Do you also get a normal missile for 1.5₢ there?
Oddly, they sell the cheap stuff at slightly higher prices, only the wildly overpriced merchandise gets reduced to "Sensible, proportionate in play prices", to more realistic prices. The logic escapes me as to why some stuff is priced so that a player is never reasonably going to be afford it within normal game play and the use of such a highly priced item is prohibitive if one has to have a whole rack of 4 of them. to be honest the q mine at 2500 Cr kills everything within it's explosion radius, I figure then a reasonable price for a killit is 1,500Cr to take out just One adversary, It is still much more expensive than the ECM hardened missile which though effective most times , takes a somewhat circuitous route to the desired target.

Not to worry.. my fiction was not designed to create controversy, rather to extol the virtues of the killit missile, should one be able to obtain them at sensible prices. :)

Post script.. They are, even at their adjusted price still far too expensive use in most normal engagements. and therefore do not in my view unbalance my game at all as the only time they pay is against a thargoid carrier when I make 500 Cr out of the exchange.

Those with Renegades,or Random Hits or even Galactic Navy can make more with a Naval energy grid and a military laser in my opinion, failing that selling computers and luxuries at a tech 3 or lower anarchy will rake in heaps of dosh.

Boy oh Boy, a bit of ole none-sense fiction to increase the immeriveness (for me at least) and the worm can gets opened.

It's very good to see how passionate folks are about their Oolite on the one hand, but on the other , It is a sandbox and some will have a Dark rainbow , a Vortex, One of the Caddie's , Heck even a Wonderworm.

I say a really good game of Oolite is where you find it personally. I still get killed (praise be for auto save)

OK I over egged my point a little, I best go. :D