Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Possible Elite Novella...

Writings and chronicles of the OOniverse.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Possible Elite Novella...

Post by drew »

Ladies and Gentlemen.

I may be certifiable, but I'm going to try. Wish me luck.

Write on, Commanders.

Drew.
Last edited by drew on Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Elite : Reclamation

Post by Cody »

<chortles merrily> Carpe diem!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

First things first, before I start, I need some ideas for Pledges.

I was going to use the 'Elite Rankings' (i.e. Harmless, mostly harmless, etc) as the various levels.

Could I have suggestions as to what though? Give I'll not be able to guarantee hard copies, the best freebee will be a personalised ebook version I think. I have some spare copies of Torn and one remaining copy of Status Quo too...

Ideas on a postcard!

Cheers,

Drew.
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Kasero
Dangerous
Dangerous
Location: Rich Agricultural - Mainly Liquors/wines - Burgondy France

Post by Kasero »

Write on, Commander Wagar!

Good luck Drew.
Rese249er
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rese249er »

drew wrote:
Could I have suggestions as to what though? Give I'll not be able to guarantee hard copies, the best freebee will be a personalised ebook version I think.
Sign a postcard for them to stick on their computer while they read it! :D
Got all turned around, lost my nav connection... Where am I now?
Gimbal Locke
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimbal Locke »

All these kickstarters, I'll need to get a credit card one of these days, so that I can participate.

Anyway: very brave decision; good luck, Drew! I'm certain you have the best Elite novel of them all in you, just waiting to come out.

You could use the name of contributors in the novel, a hero would be more expensive than an archvillain, which would be more expensive than a run-of-the-mill villain or a side character. The same for the names of spaceships, stations, exotic cargo, computer systems, missions, authors/titles of rare books, etc... Just make sure you don't "sell" stuff which would make the book less good.

I the previous lines, I was talking about the names in the "normal" edition of the book. What about a personalised edition (1 copy or any limited number of copies) in which the pledger is the main hero, his/her brother-in-law the main villain, granny the founder of The Elite, and some friend the head commander of Galactic Navy? Would be fun (and eternal feuds :twisted: ) for the whole family.

An exclusive dinner with DB costs 5000, how much would a dinner with Drew be worth?
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Gimbal Locke wrote:
An exclusive dinner with DB costs 5000, how much would a dinner with Drew be worth?
If you have to ask, you can't afford it. :lol:

Cheers,

Drew.
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Appearances in the book seem to be a logical choice. Perhaps also being involved in some way in the layout of the story, discussing the plot, or the first draft, or something like that.

But I don't consider this a necessity.

Realistically, your backers will mainly consist of forum members*, and we are happy to support you, and don't expect physical rewards for it (at least I don't).

Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

As per Iron Sky - a list of contributors on the thank-you page will be enough for many (or credits as it was for the film)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Credits at the back for small donations, credit at the front for larger contributors and cameo bit-parts for larger-still contributors, or something along those lines.

But I'd tend to agree with the comments of both of my illustrious colleagues above.
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Kind of where I was going anyway. Excellent. Great minds think a-like...

...or fools never differ. (Take your pick!)

Cheers,

Drew.
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

No physical stuff........
(I might hold you to a beer when we meet again though)
Now, a few things to consider.
We have had discussions about getting someone from this forum on the design decision forum before. This could make you that person, or it could be a reward if FD will allow it.
Also, you get to name a station, a central star system and possibly even a frontier star system on top of that. I would like to see those named in the spirit of the Oolite community, but you could make that a part of your rewards as well. I guess you would need to clarify with FD exactly what you will be allowed to do.

As for mentioning in the book, I'll be the villain.... I don't mind.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Drew, I think this is a fantastic idea. I'm thrilled that you're going to give this a go. I can understand the feelings put over by others on the E:D kickstarter (£4,500 is a LOT of money, but my opinion is that it is funding the development AND getting the prospective author all the other benefits too).

I'll be happy to hand over whatever money I can afford.

As for pledge ideas, how about the chance to write or outline a chapter or scene with your own character? Obviously in partnership with the main author, under a "special thanks" acknowledgement or something? Lower pledges could offer the chance to specify simply the character name, then the character's personality, then the character's background? I know that would be a writing challenge for you.

I think you've covered the different levels of role (cameo, supporting, main) under different levels of pledge. Maybe a chance to design the cover art (if FD allow that) or interior art? Since you will have all the distribution rights, that should be allowed.

After all that, though, a word of warning. If you let the pledges take up too much of the cast and plot, you might find it difficult to put them all into a cohesive story that will be publishable. Of all the authors I know, though, you would be the most likely to be able to do it, but be careful.

And well done for stepping up for this. I really hope it works. :-)
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Sweeteners eh? Well, first of all where is it set?

1 of the 8? or in frontier?

As for added value: unsigned copies, signed copies (maybe get 5 limited edition hardbacks printed).
Then there is maybe "the complete Drew" level of sponsorship which includes previous works all signed.

Just make sure you price it out correctly so your spending no more than 10% of the pledge (including postage) on give back and you should be hunky dory.
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

ClymAngus wrote:
Well, first of all where is it set?
The question I most want answered. Right now I have the sum total of diddily squat information on when E:D is going to be set.

What we do know is that there will be a level of newtonian physics, no time compression, the Cobra Mk3 seems to still be there. DB mentioned Lave and Riedquat. My guess is it will be between Elite and Frontier perhaps. That's where my own ideas are forming for the story at the moment. I can do the 'collapse of Galcop' in favour of Federation and Empire again as a backdrop - political uncertainty is always a good plot device.

Lots of stuff I need to know. How will hyperspace work? How far can you go? What powers and principalities exist? How has technology changed? What weapons are available... yada yada...

I'm not planning on doing any plotting or in depth thinking until I know I can 'engage'. All efforts will be directed at getting the thing off the ground in the first instance. Hopefully by then there will be a little more material to work with.

My rough timeline looks like this:

Now-Jan : Promote idea
Jan-Feb : Plot, principle characters
Mar-Sep : Write on + minor characters (12k words/month - arrgh!)
Oct-Dec: Editing
Jan-Mar: Polish and publishing prep

Cheers,

Drew.
WebsiteFacebookTwitter