Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Falcon or Caddy?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Falcon or Caddy?

Post by ClymAngus »

Duggan wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
Ahh.. the old 'nothing exceeds like excess' method, eh? :mrgreen:
I should really do the old disqualifier here.... The Warty Popsicle has in my opinion indeed absolutely no place what so ever in a "normal" game.

If however maintaining a lock on targets that shift about all over the place is difficult to impossible.
and if one has, extra thargoids, thorgorn threat, galactic navy, swarm and thargoid carrier installed, there might just be some use for this chimera after all.

Getting to elite using solely vanilla may well in fact be a bit life consuming else wise(hats off to those who have slogged it out though).
Ah, but Mr Duggan, perhaps we are missing the point? This game is as much about the mods as it ever was about the game itself. You play, you go a little way. You add oxp's and you enjoy it more. You see something that you wish was in the game, and with a bit of luck and a lot of help from the stoic community you make your dreams come true.

The pure game is an option but the addition of oxps put choice back in the hands of the player. If my ship offends thee then "cut it out". I would have in no other way. The choice MAKES oolite. You choose how you play it, that is it's great strength and one that has been seldom copied as an intrinsic part of the game.

And for the record as has been mentioned above, why choose? When you can have both?
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

G'day ClymAngus! Long time no see!

You're sticking around for a while, I hope?
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Yup! I missed this place. It's good to see it's still around despite the new revival of the original subject matter: Crowd funded Elite.

Also a chance to defend my modus operandi? Priceless.
Love the caddy, hate the caddy it doesn't matter, the real win here was it is allowed to exist.
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

2 cents worth here... Caddy is Very good ship but not for smuggling. Vortex is far superior:
reasons:
1- has 5 cargo bays (30 tons each) but galcop and renegades see only the one that is currently in position. Perfect for narcotics, slaves or firearms. :shock:
2- has 5 missile bays that hold 5 missiles each ( That's 25 missiles). :twisted:
In combat, they auto rotate so when 1 bay becomes empty, the next one becomes active... mix and match of missiles in each bay can be awesome.
3. self preservation: if combat damage occurs to point of shield failure, the vortex will attempt a mini jump to get you and it out of the theater of combat.
4. in addition to standard lasers, it has multiple pulse cannons for use in under 7 km that will autotrack your target.
5. has multiple shield generators for fast recovery
6. has injector recycling so part of fuel used up on injectors is recycled for more efficiency of fuel management.

Not everyone likes it and it is awfully ugly but hey, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :mrgreen:
Bartle tester says while I am drinking evil juice, I am: 80% killer/ 80 % achiever/ 33% explorer and 0% socializer.
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Yah-Ta-Hey wrote:
2 cents worth here... Caddy is Very good ship but not for smuggling. Vortex is far superior:
reasons:
1- has 5 cargo bays (30 tons each) but galcop and renegades see only the one that is currently in position. Perfect for narcotics, slaves or firearms. :shock:
2- has 5 missile bays that hold 5 missiles each ( That's 25 missiles). :twisted:
In combat, they auto rotate so when 1 bay becomes empty, the next one becomes active... mix and match of missiles in each bay can be awesome.
3. self preservation: if combat damage occurs to point of shield failure, the vortex will attempt a mini jump to get you and it out of the theater of combat.
4. in addition to standard lasers, it has multiple pulse cannons for use in under 7 km that will autotrack your target.
5. has multiple shield generators for fast recovery
6. has injector recycling so part of fuel used up on injectors is recycled for more efficiency of fuel management.

Not everyone likes it and it is awfully ugly but hey, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :mrgreen:
Hey, all good with me. There is a fallacy running through oolite that everyone who designs a ship thinks it's the best. This is not the case. People design ships for a myriad of reasons, people hack ships and tweak their stats for a myriad more. It's the act of contribution that is important. I'm glad you like the ship. I'm EVEN more happy that you've searched out another one you think is better. I'm ecstatic that you've taken the time to compared the 2 and have found either wanting. It means you care about the game, care enough to get into the nitty gritty of it. THAT'S what's important. Passion for the game. :)
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

And the Vortex was at least in part inspired by the Caddy, so without one you wouldn't have had the other anyway. And we've both had at least some input into the others ship anyway, so all is good and I personally take the Caddy out when testing stuff at least as often as I do a Vortex.

Good to see you back again by the way, oh fellow uber-designer :twisted:
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

We have a bad rep for "ruining the game" but then what is good without evil? What is god without the devil? What is Odin without Loki?
Stagnation that's what. These annoying ships are there to challenge. The unwanted double exclamation mark at the end of an otherwise well formed sentence.

Dislike if you will. But these ships need to be there to shake people out of formulaic complacency. It's the grit that gets the blood flowing. The pulse pumping and gets you passionate about the game again. These things are necessary, annoying though they might be. Because they say, what if?What could YOU do if I can do this?

Uber is necessary. Unwanted, possibly. Messy? Certainly. But for perspectives sake alone, absolutely vital.

Hello Tharg. Hows tricks?
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

Right On! I tried the caddy and it just didn't fit my plans as well as a vortex so I am not discounting any ship... to each his own.... The Cobra III is a terrific ship to learn on... but it has it's limitations and you gotta learn quick or start over. Sure you can get better ships down the line but the experience that you get as you move up the ladder is what keeps your choices viable. So want simple ships (adder) while other want the uber duper worm. anaconda vs the D.T.T ships or star war types... I acknowledge the caddy's role in the vortex and thank goodness that the vortex is unable to truly organically heal itself. Choices..... OOlite offers it all to those with eclectic tastes.

Remember: Man makes the ship, the ship molds the man and together they create legends.
Bartle tester says while I am drinking evil juice, I am: 80% killer/ 80 % achiever/ 33% explorer and 0% socializer.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

<wanders around hangar - lingers by the iron-assed Adder - shakes head, decides to take the Constrictor SE out for a spin>
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Sendraks
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Sendraks »

I love the Caddy, it has some of the best background of any ship and is such an easy vessel to write stories about in my head.

They're not exactly a cheap vessel to run, given most engineers scratch their heads in bewilderment at Shulth bio-engineering and if you don't turn off the biometric sensors when letting them inside your vessel to run maintainence........well................being "digested" by the ship's security systems often offends.
SARR
Competent
Competent

Post by SARR »

I found the vortex in the wiki....really some kind of iron ass ship.....and worth the 2 million cr I guess....but I was unable to find the caddy in the wiki, could anyone post a link here please?
Cody

Post by Cody »

SARR wrote:
I was unable to find the caddy in the wiki, could anyone post a link here please?
[EliteWiki] Here you go - the Flying Rehnquist in all its glory.
SARR
Competent
Competent

Post by SARR »

Cody wrote:
SARR wrote:
I was unable to find the caddy in the wiki, could anyone post a link here please?
....and downloaded, thank you! :mrgreen:
ClymAngus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ClymAngus »

Cody wrote:
SARR wrote:
Wow! "the Flying Rehnquist" eh? That's quite the statement given the chief Justices glittering career defending and protecting the voting rights of ethnic and religous minorities..... A paragon of libralism. Some people called him a "wet lefty" but I think that's just jelousy.
Cody

Post by Cody »

<grins> Don't panic - 'tis merely a quote from fiction.