Javascript oddity (?)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Javascript oddity (?)

Post by UK_Eliter »

I've just discovered a really irritating feature of (only Oolite?) Javascript. To wit: if one has a function that has no arguments, and one calls it, but not by
this.$whatTheFuck()
but by
this.$whatTheFuck
i.e. without the parentheses, then the function does not run and . . one gets no error message. Argh!
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Javascript oddity (?)

Post by another_commander »

The grammar of Javascript dictates that a function is called using the parentheses. Not using parentheses is simply not invoking the function. When you do a this.myFuntion you just get back a pointer to the function object. Since you are not using the returned value for anything, really what you have there is a statement with no effect.

If I go to the Debug Console and type for example:
system.sendAllShipsAway()
I get the function called and all ships hyperspace. If I do though
system.sendAllShipsAway then the console responds with:

Code: Select all

function sendAllShipsAway() {
    [native code]
}
which means "I recognize what you typed there as a function object". I could assign this object to a variable and do something with it, but if I just type it then that's an operation without any effect. Certainly it is not an error.

BTW, topic moved as it has little to do with optimization techniques.
hoqllnq
Commodore
Commodore

Post by hoqllnq »

I am not a javascript guru, but in any language I know, without the parentheses it is not a function call. It is just an expression that resolves to a value of the type 'function', that 'points to' / has the value of $whatTheFuck.
In a compiled language you'd get a warning for this along the lines of 'statement has no effect' or 'expression result not used'.
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

another_commander wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:27 pm
system.sendAllShipsAway
An important usage is to check whether the function is exists at all or not. I often check this on new core features instead of raising the required Oolite version if I can make a workaround into the else block.

Moreover in the case of trunk sometimes it is not enough to check just the Oolite version: when somebody use an outdated trunk with the same version number but without a wanted new function. This is why I like to check the existence of the new function before I call it.
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Post by UK_Eliter »

Norby wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:10 pm
Moreover in the case of trunk sometimes it is not enough to check just the Oolite version: when somebody use an outdated trunk with the same version number but without a wanted new function. This is why I like to check the existence of the new function before I call it.
Oh man, that's a whole new level of rubustness that, given limited time, I am not even going to try to attain. Respect!