Old OXP - Autodock

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Old OXP - Autodock

Post by phkb »

There is an old OXP called Autodock, a discussion of which is here: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12008. Basically it allows players without a docking computers to use the stations docking computers for a 50Cr fee. CSOTB's version is designed for 1.77.1, but new features in 1.80/2 make for a simpler implementation. I've got a version, but I wondered is there any interest in such a thing?

I know a lot of players still have trouble with docking, so being able to bypass the process might be useful. It was a feature in old Elite versions (Elite+ being an example) so there is certainly a history for it. CSOTB is working on his mammoth re-visioning OXP so I imagine his interest in updating his original OXP is minimal (I have contacted him but he appears to be away again).

So, is there value in it? To publish, or not to publish, that is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous dockings, or to give players an easy docking process, and by that process calm them. To dock, to fly no more, and by such docking to end the thousand natural shocks our ships are heir to? 'Tis a consummation devoutly to be wished! To dock in time; to dock, perchance to crash; aye, there's the rub. For in that docking crash what dreams may come, when we have shuffled off this 'Press Space Commander', must give us pause.

Ok, I think I'll end there. Let me know what you think (about the OXP, not my mangled Shakespeare!).
ffutures
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Old OXP - Autodock

Post by ffutures »

Given how much easier docking is in 1.82 I'd suggest a BIG price cut, say to 5 credits - in previous versions I bought a docking computer as soon as I could afford it, in the current version I got several other things before bothering, since docking really isn't that big a deal.
phkb

Post by phkb »

I think docking is still challenging for new players: see this post by gammawolf: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f= ... 55#p240959

I dunno, maybe 10cr per dock, and only at main stations TL9 (minimum TL for docking computer repair) or above?
Layne
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Layne »

For I have neither wit, nor words, nor worth, action nor utterance, nor the power of speech, to stir men's blood. I only speak right on. I tell you that which you yourselves do know.

In other words, yes, I think the OXP still has a place. As you point out, it's a legitimate feature from classic versions of Elite. Maybe you've just upgraded to a larger ship than you're used to handling. Maybe you've got a Python and a big cargo and your docking computer has been shot out from under you or failed. Maybe you just like tipping the station docking personnel. Maybe you're new to the game and can't afford a docking computer yet, and like the other thread, you're not confident of your skills.

I do agree that 50 credits is a tad steep, and the 5-10 credit range seems more in line with a routine service the station probably has to perform thousands of times a day for local traffic.
Reports of my death have been greatly underestimated.
phkb

Post by phkb »

OK, version 1.0 of the AutoDock OXP is now in the download manager.
SteveKing
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SteveKing »

Bit like a 'Valet Parking' fee :mrgreen:

Hark, what light from yon bay door shines? It is the Entrance and Galcop transmit the Autodock code. Oh thank thee for Autodock to calm the nervous commander who is already sick and pale with fear for his ships safety (and perforce his own life).
SteveKing
(not quite the author)
Layne
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Layne »

SteveKing wrote:
Bit like a 'Valet Parking' fee :mrgreen:
What a brazen-faced varlet art thou!

Oh, I misheard you. Valet parking, you said.
Reports of my death have been greatly underestimated.
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

Once more unto the Dock, dear friends, once more;
Or close the wall up with our Commanders dead! ...........

Then imitate the action of the tiger;
Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood,
Disguise fair nature with hard-favoured rage;
Then lend the eye a terrible aspect.

And Commanders in Oolite, now a-bed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That Docked with us upon this day.

* apologies to Shakespeare misquote of Henry V...

basically, keep trying and learn to dock... its quicker than the dock computer and more fun.... though i havent mastered Cody's art of docking under injectors......
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply